Comparing rules by version
You can compare certain rule forms to help resolve merge conflicts, review and debug code, and review changes that were made while the rule was checked out. You can compare a rule with versions of the rule that you have checked out, with branched versions, and with the same rule in other ruleset versions.
- In Dev Studio, open the rule on which you want to run the rule compare utility.
- Click , and select the version of the rule that you want to compare with the current rule.
- View the list of differences between the current rule and the version for comparison. For the current rule, each list entry shows:
- The type of change that was made
- The name of the page or property that was changed
- For modifications, the former and current values.
For the rules properties that are used to store code, you can use a compare utility that provides a detailed view of changes between the compared versions:
- Click Compare text on a difference that you want to examine to view all the changes between versions.
- Click the drop-down arrow to move to a specific change, or click the arrows to cycle between changes.
- Optional: Manually make changes to your version of the file, by editing, adding, or removing text.
To replace changes in the currently edited rule:
- Click the Revert chunk icon next to a change to replace it with the version of the rule that you are comparing to.
- Click the Undo all changes icon to replace all your changes with the version of the rule that you are comparing to.
- Click Done after you review the changes.
- Click the entry on the list to highlight the tab and element in which the change was made on the current rule form.
- Expand a list entry to see additional information about page and property changes.
If you make changes to the current rule in this view, click Save changes to compare your revisions.If you do not have access to make changes to the rule, the Save changes option is not visible. To make and save changes to the rule, exit the Compare view and either check out the rule or save it into a branch.
- Optional: To compare the current rule with another version, select that version from the list in the Compare Rule header. The view is refreshed with the revised change information.
- Click Exit compare to return to the rule form.