Connecting to REST and SOAP services
Use the REST and SOAP connector capabilities of the Pega 7 Platform for Pega Cloud connectivity, because these connectors are secure, easy to configure, and use common web protocols. You can connect to REST and SOAP services by using the integration wizards in Designer Studio. These integration wizards generate all of the records that are required for connecting to REST and SOAP services from your application, including the associated data page, data mapping, and authentication records.
To complete this task, the services that you want to connect to must be available and accessible from your Pega Cloud environment. If the services are not available, you can create mock services to accelerate development.
To facilitate record generation in the Pega 7 Platform, use the REST and SOAP integration wizards, and provide sample request and response JSON messages or the appropriate WSDL and XSD artifacts, respectively. In addition, ensure that these services are secure and that you have the required authentication information.
To connect to REST and SOAP services:
- In Designer Studio, click Designer Studio > Integration > Connectors > Create REST Integration or to open the appropriate integration wizard to connect to a REST or SOAP service. For more information, see Creating REST integration and Creating SOAP integration.
- Ensure that your connectors are secure for the type of integration and for the data that is being transmitted. Security measures include:
- Using a secure tunnel to provide data transport encryption. You can create a secure tunnel by using the following methods:
- Configure TLS 1.2 in your REST and SOAP connectors. Optionally, you can use mutual TLS authentication when the server requires validation of authentic clients.
- Use a VPN connection. On Pega Cloud, this method is available for every provisioned environment.
- Use Amazon Web Services Direct Connect. This method is appropriate if you utilize dedicated carrier networks.
- Encrypting your data before transmission to the service.
- Using strong credentials, with or without single sign-on (SSO), for confidential connections.
- Verify that your Pega 7 Platform application is configured with the appropriate access groups, roles, and privileges. For more information, see Authorization models in the Pega 7 Platform.
Published February 22, 2017 — Updated August 7, 2018