Adding a data object
Data objects define the logical data layer and hold data for your application. A data object simplifies the organization of the properties, data pages, transforms, and other elements your application needs to get the right data at the right time. Data objects are called data types in Dev Studio.
For example, you could use a Customer data object to manage customer contact information. The data object might include the customer's name, email, phone number, and so on. You can also reference a data object from a case type to add the data object and all of its fields to a view.
You can define the following sources for your data object:
- Pega – If you choose to connect the data object to the Pega database, Pega Platform creates the artifacts needed for your
- A table in the Pega database to store the data for the data object
- A database table record to map your class to the new table
- A report definition to browse data of the type stored in the table
- Three data pages that your application uses to access the data: a read-only single object data page, a savable single object data page, and a read-only list data page
- REST – If you choose a system other than Pega, Pega Platform creates one data page that is defined from your REST API.
Use the following topics to create a data object, to connect a data object to a system of record, and to save data to a system of record.
- Creating a data object
Use data objects to simplify the organization of the information that your application needs to process a case. For example, configure an Onboarding application to provide orientation course suggestions to new hires based on department. In the Onboarding application, a Courses data object might include fields such as Course ID, Course Title, Department, Duration, and Description.
- Creating a data type in Dev Studio
Define the logical data layer of your application by creating data types to manage and hold data. In addition, reference data types from case types to add all of its fields to a form when you configure the view for a step.
- Reusing CRM data types
Use Customer Relationship Management (CRM) core data types to bring your data into your application. These data types are useful, for example, when you want to use Pega Platform as both an application and a system of record in your cloud environment.
- Connecting a data object to a system of record
You typically connect a data object to a system of record when you first create a data object. For example, for an Employee data object, you might connect to a system of record that populates the data object with employee information fields, such as Name, Department, or Start Date. However, you can connect an existing data object to a system of record after creation by completing the following steps.
- Adding records to a data object
Define the data to populate the fields in a data object by adding a record.
- Updating a data record
Keep data current by updating data records.
- Importing updates from a file
To make changes to your data more quickly, update data records in bulk by importing updates from a .csv file.
- Creating local data storage
Local data storage lets you store data records for a data type without having to manually create or maintain database tables. Local data storage is used with a data type 's record editor.
ArticleAbout Edit Input rules
ArticleCreating dedicated indexes
ArticleDisabling case creation by email