Best practices for data modeling
Follow best practices to save time developing and maintaining your data model.
Use the following data modeling guidelines.
- Reuse data objects by promoting a built-on data object or copying the assets from a standard Data- class.
- If your data source is unavailable, connect your data objects to simulated data in local storage.
- Repurpose data pages instead of creating new ones when your system of record changes.
- Update data sources created in App Studio in Dev Studio only when necessary because some changes made in
Dev Studio make the rules uneditable in App Studio.
For more information, see Updating connections and field mappings for a data object.
- Actively remove the data objects and fields that you do not use.
- Provide transformations to automate post-import changes to your data.
- Maintain separate environments for development, staging, production, and testing.
- Save import settings as a template to avoid manually mapping fields during future data imports.