Enabling decision management services
Decision management services comprise the technical foundation of decision management. Learn more about decision management services and how to enable them to fully benefit from next-best-action strategies and other decision management features in Pega Platform.
Decision management services
Each service is responsible for a specific functional area of decision management:
- Decision Data Store
- The Decision Data Store (DDS) service manages the Cassandra cluster and stores decision management data in a Cassandra database.
- Adaptive Decision Manager
- The Adaptive Decision Manager (ADM) creates and updates adaptive models by processing customer responses in real time. By including adaptive models in your next-best-actions strategies, you can make better decisions for your business based on accurately predicted customer behavior.
- Data Flow
- The Data Flow service enables running data flows in batch and real time (stream) modes. Data flows are data pipelines that read, transform, and write data. With data flows, you can, for example, run decisions, perform text analysis, and execute real-time aggregations.
- Real Time Data Grid
- The Real Time Data Grid (RTDG) service performs historical analysis and forecasting for your next-best-action strategies. With the RTDG service, you can monitor the results of your next-best-action decisions in real time.
- The Stream service enables asynchronous flow of data between processes in Pega Platform. The Stream service is a multinode component that is based on Apache Kafka.
Node types specific to decision management
Pega Platform provides a set of node types that are specific to decision management so that you can start each decision management service and then scale it according to your needs.
To start a decision management service, you assign a node type specific to that service to an existing node; for example, to start the Decision Data Store (DDS) service, you assign the DDS node type to a selected node. You can assign a decision management service node type to any Pega Platform node.
After starting a decision management service, you can scale that service horizontally by assigning the corresponding node type to more nodes. The number of nodes for each service depends on your application resiliency and scalability requirements. To ensure the scalability of each service, assign only one node type to a node.
- Configuring the Decision Data Store service
Store decision management data in a Cassandra database and manage the Cassandra cluster by configuring the Decision Data Store (DDS) service.
- Configuring the Adaptive Decision Manager service
The Adaptive Decision Manager (ADM) creates and updates adaptive models by processing customer responses in real time. By including adaptive models in your next-best-actions strategies, you can make better decisions for your business based on accurately predicted customer behavior.
- Configuring the Data Flow service
In the Data Flow service, you can run data flows in batch mode or real time (stream) mode. Specify the number of Pega Platform threads that you want to use for running data flows in each mode.
- Configuring the Real Time Data Grid service
Configure the Real Time Data Grid (RTDG) service to monitor the results of your next-best-action decisions in real time.
- Configuration settings for nodes
Use the following configuration settings to specify directories for decision management node resources and to select services that you want to enable when starting Pega Platform.
- Configuring logger settings
In a development environment, you can enable logging by adding the appropriate logger settings in the prlog4j2.xml file. In a production environment, most standard logging is set to warn and should remain at this level. For more information on log levels, see the Apache Log4j documentation.
- Monitoring decision management services
View the current status of the decision management services to monitor performance and to troubleshoot problems.
- Assigning decision management node types to Pega Platform nodes
Assign decision management node types to Pega Platform nodes to scale data ingestion or decision processing.