Creating an upgrade pipeline
Upgrade pipelines automate and simplify near-zero-downtime upgrades by automating the basic upgrade process. By using Deployment Manager as a standard DevOps approach during upgrades, you can promote the upgrade fixes with ease to production and non-production environments through a single pipeline.
Ensure the staging clone environment has proper provisioning to perform upgrade validation before you create an upgrade pipeline.
Add a new upgrade pipeline
Deployment Manager manages pipelines for your application. To begin working with an application pipeline, you must first add one.
To add a pipeline, from the Deployment Manager portal, perform the following steps:
On the top-right of the portal, click New .
Select Upgrade pipeline.Pipeline templates drive the necessary information to complete the creation of a pipeline. For more information, see Pipeline templates.If you choose to navigate away from any of the pipeline creation screens, save your configuration. If you do not save the configurations, you lose your progress. Continue below to add application environment and pipeline model details.
Configuring a new upgrade pipeline-Application Details
Configuring the application details for an upgrade pipeline is the first of three steps to create an upgrade pipeline.
To configure application details, perform the following steps:
In the Pipeline name field, enter a name for the pipeline.
In the Application packaging environment field, specify the environment URL for the application package location.
In the Authentication profile field, select or enter the authentication profile to connect to the application packaging environment.Pega Cloud auto-detects the application packaging environment with the staging clone environment provisioned for upgrade validation. Validate the accuracy of this URL.
In the Approver dropdown list, select the Deployment Manager user to promote the upgrade to environments and confirm that the platform upgrade is complete.
Application packaging environment
Application details for upgrade pipelines
To simplify upgrading your application upgrade fixes, Deployment Manager you the KeepPegaCurrent application in Deployment manager.
The KeepPegaCurrent application has two product rules to package upgrade artifacts. For more information, see Understanding upgrade pipelines. To aid in this workflow, Deployment Manager presets the application details for upgrade pipelines. Ensure that the UpgradeFixes product rule has the upgrade fixes for all applications that this change affects.
Configure the upgradeTestAssets product rule to package all test assets you need to perform confidence testing during the Go-no-Go phase.
Configuring a new upgrade pipeline - Environment Details
After you complete the application details for your upgrade pipeline, you configure the candidate environment details for the pipeline to use where you deploy the application.
To strengthen the decision to upgrade the production environment, Deployment Manager provides two instances to customers These two instances are:
- The Staging-Clone environment is the upgraded, cloned staging-environment where
you make upgrade fixes. On Pega Cloud Services, the URL contains the
- The Ephemeral environment is the temporary production environment. In Pega Cloud Services, the URL contains the word
Deployment Manager pre-populates an upgrade pipeline with six stages:
- Staging-clone - Upgraded environment where the team validates their applications. Use this stage to fix any upgrade impacts and source changes.
- Ephemeral - This stage represents a short-lived environment that comes to life during the Go-no-Go phase. Upgrade and deploy this environment with your production rule schema and data schema. Run confidence tests on this environment before you confirm upgrades on production.
- Production - Actual production environment of the client. In a basic upgrade, production upgrades after you approve the Go decision.
- Staging - Actual staging environment of the client. In a basic upgrade, staging upgrades after the production update completes.
- Quality Assurance - Actual quality assurance environment of the client. In a basic upgrade, staging upgrades after the production upgrade completes.
- Development - Actual development environment of the client. In a basic upgrade, staging upgrades after the production upgrade completes.
In the Authentication Profile field for the system, press the Down arrow key, and then select the authentication profile that you want to communicate from the orchestration server to the system.
In the Artifact management section, select the development and production repositories through which the product rule that contains application moves through the pipeline.
In the Development repository field, select the development repository.
In the Production repository field, select the production repository.
Configuring a new upgrade pipeline - Model Pipeline
Upgrade pipelines offer the optimal end-to-end process recommended to migrate upgrade fixes during the basic upgrade process.
To further enhance the pipeline with additional features, edit the pipeline model from the pipeline model screen. To customize your upgrade process, you can add stages or tasks to any pre-populated stage.