How to automatically refresh a section after a user updates a field in another section
In some work forms, when a user changes a property value in one section, it is desirable to update the values of fields in other sections. The update typically occurs when a user clicks a checkbox or radio button, selects a value from a prompt, or enters text. The example in this article describes how to configure a work form so that —
When a user selects a manager name from a Dynamic Select drop-down list in the top section....
...a new section named Manager Information appears, and displays the manager's information in read-only format.
If the user later selects a different manager name, the system similarly refreshes the Manager Information section with updated values.
In V6.2, you can refresh any section as follows:
– Using pxButton, pxIcon, or pxLink controls. See How to refresh any section on a user form using a click-action control.
– Specifying a Refresh When condition in an included section without having to use the Client Event Editor. See the Refresh on Change example at > User Interface > UI Gallery.
Do the following:
- Open the harness rule containing the sections. In this example, the ManagerDynamicSelect section contains the controlling field — the Dynamic Select control (using the property value .ManagerData.ID). The ManagerDynamicSelectInfo section contains the controlled fields — Title, Office, and Phone read-only text boxes. Both sections are at the same level within the NewHeader section as shown here:
- In the ManagerDynamicSelect section, select the cell containing the Manager Dynamic Select control.
- Open the .ManagerData.ID Cell Properties panel by clicking the magnifying glass icon .
- In the panel, click the magnifying glass icon next to the Behavior field. This opens the Client Event Editor.
- In the Editor, select
On Changein the Event field and
Apply Conditions in the Action field.
- Click Save to close the Editor. The panel looks like this:
- Close the panel.
- Open the the ManagerDynamicSelectInfo Section Include Properties panel by clicking the magnifying glass icon ().
.ManagerData.IDin the Refresh When field. The section refreshes when the property changes.
.ManagerData.ID!="in the Visible When field. The section appears when the property is not empty.
- Select the Run on Client checkbox.
The panel should look like this:
- Close the panel and save the harness.
- Test the harness to verify the expected behavior.
Published October 18, 2010 — Updated March 20, 2013