Patch process for Pega Infinity release 8.3 and later
Pega Cloud Services applies patches to Pega Platform in the client environment as well as supported customer relationship management (CRM) applications.
Pega Platform patches bundle the bug and security fixes over a given period into a cumulative release that improves the overall quality of the software without touching the environment infrastructure. To review what is included in Pega Platform 8.x patches, see Pega Platform Patch Releases - Resolved issues download and Pega.
Pega Platform software upgrades are a separate process from the Pega Platform patch process. For instance, applying Pega Platform or CRM applications patches does not require a cloned environment for validation. For more information, see Pega Cloud Services upgrade process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 and later or Pega Cloud Services upgrade process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.1 and earlier.
The information provided in this document is for planning purposes and is subject to change at the discretion of Pegasystems Inc.
Benefits of the patch process for Pega Cloud Services environment
Pega Cloud Services applies Pega Platform patches to each environment with zero downtime and without touching the environment infrastructure. You must follow these best practices to ensure background processes are not interrupted:
- Best practices for writing activities for background jobs
- Best practices for processing files using the file listener
In Pega Cloud Services environments running Pega Platform version 8.3.x and later, the patch process is enhanced compared to systems running 8.2.x and earlier to deliver the following benefits:
- Environment infrastructure improvements now mean faster tier start-up times after the patch is applied with as little interruption to your service as possible.
- You can make Pega rule changes throughout the patch process.
- Consistent search availability while Pega applies the patch to the environment.
Pega Platform patches began with Pega Platform version 8.1, and cannot be directly applied to environments running Pega Platform version 7.x.
Software patch planning considerations
You should plan to have your software patched by Pega during your agreed upon standard maintenance window that you defined during the Pega Cloud Services onboarding process. For planning purposes, you are notified five days in advance and then reminded with a second notification four hours prior to the initiation of the patch application process within the standard maintenance window you defined.
The patch process waits up to 30 minutes for an activity that is running in the background to finish its work; if it is not finished after 30 minutes, the background process is terminated.
Applying Pega Platform patches is part of the standard maintenance policy as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates.
During the Pega Cloud Services software patch process, Pega responsibilities include the following actions:
- Manage communications with you throughout the patch process, including notification before the patch is applied and after the patch application is complete.
- Document any issue that was discovered during the patch process and, if necessary, work with you to resolve any patch issues.
- Remove any unnecessary rules in each patched environment within seven days of the patch application.
During the software patch process if you have environments running Pega Platform version 8.3.x and later, you must review the notifications that Pega sends that includes the details of an upcoming software patch and CRM patch. If you must reschedule a patch activity, they can make a request by selecting New request in My Support Portal or call the Pega Support Contact Information hotline listed for their region. For the latest documentation on making requests, see My Support Portal: New Design, Streamlined Features.