Patch process for releases 8.2.x and earlier
Pega Cloud® Services applies patches to Pega Platform™ running in the client environment as well as supported customer relationship management (CRM) applications.
Pega Platform patches bundle the bug and security fixes over a given period into a cumulative release that improves the overall quality of the software without touching the environment infrastructure. To review what is included in Pega Platform 8.x patches, see Pega Platform Patch Releases - Resolved issues download and Pega Cloud patches include latest CRM application patches.
Pega Platform software upgrades are a separate process from the Pega Platform patch process. For instance, applying Pega Platform patches does not require a cloned environment for validation. For more information, see Minor upgrade process for Pega Infinity 8.4.x and later or Major upgrade process to the latest Pega Infinity release.
The information provided in this document is for planning purposes and is subject to change at the discretion of Pegasystems Inc.
Benefits of the patch process for Pega Cloud Services environmentsPega Cloud Services applies Pega Platform patches to each client environment with zero downtime and without touching the environment infrastructure. In addition, there is consistent search availability in the environment while Pegasystems Inc. applies the patch to the environment. To ensure the patch process is implemented with zero downtime, clients must ensure that any longer-running Pega processes are shutdown prior to the patch application. For details, see the section, Client responsibilities.
Pega PlatformPega Platform patches began with 8.1, and cannot be directly applied to environments running Pega Platform 7.x.
Software patch planning considerations
Pega Cloud Services clients should plan to have their software patched by Pegasystems Inc. during their agreed upon standard maintenance window that they defined during the Pega Cloud Services onboarding process. For planning purposes, clients are notified five days in advance and then reminded with a second notification four hours prior to the initiation of the patch application process within the standard maintenance window as defined by the client.
Applying Pega Platform patches is part of the standard maintenance policy as defined in Pega Cloud Services maintenance and types of system updates.
Pegasystems Inc. responsibilities
During the Pega Cloud Services software patch process, Pegasystems Inc. responsibilities include the following actions:
- Manage communications with the client throughout the patch process, including notification before the patch is applied and after the patch application is complete.
- Document any issue that was discovered during the patch process and, if necessary, work with the client to resolve any patch issues.
- Remove any unnecessary rules in each patched environment within seven days of the patch application.
During the Pega Cloud Services software patch process, the client responsibilities include the following actions:
- Reschedule any upcoming activities, such as campaigns or job schedulers, to be initiated after the patch process is complete.
- In order to avoid possible disruption to background processes, clients should consider stopping all background processes before the patch is applied and restarting Pega queue processors, job schedulers, and DSM dataflows after you receive notification that the patch application is complete. The Pega Platform patch process automatically restarts Pega agents and listeners after it is complete.
For more information and procedures to complete the pausing and subsequent resuming of background processes, see Managing background processes during upgrades and patches. Background processes are automatically managed during upgrades and patches for clients running Pega Platform 8.3.x and later.
- Review the notifications that Pegasystems Inc. sends that includes the details of an upcoming software patch and CRM patch. If a client must reschedule a patch activity, select New request in My Support Portal or call the Pega Support Contact Information hotline listed for their region. For the latest documentation on making requests, see My Support Portal: New Design, Streamlined Features.
- Managing background processes during upgrades and patches
This content applies to environments that are running Pega Platform 8.2.x and earlier. Background processes are automatically managed during upgrades and patches for clients running Pega Platform 8.3.x and later.