Customizing synchronization indicators
Customize the background color and font of the synchronization indicators in your mobile app to better suit the overall look and feel. Synchronization indicators keep users informed about the synchronization status when an offline-enabled mobile app regains network connectivity and starts synchronizing data.
Pega Platform provides four types of native indicators:
- The app does not have network access. The Offline indicator disappears only after the app regains network connectivity and starts receiving responses from the server.
- The app is synchronizing data after reestablishing network connectivity or after a period of low-speed connectivity.
- Sync failed. Retry?
- Data synchronization failed due to an error unrelated to the network. Users can try to synchronize again by tapping the indicator.
- Successfully synced
- All data and status changes are synchronized with the server. The indicator appears only after the app displays the Syncing indicator.
- Create a Pega Platform application and configure a mobile channel for the application. For more information, see Designing applications for offline mode and Setting up mobile apps.
- Ensure that you have a case type that you can use in the offline-enabled app, and that the case type only uses features that are supported in offline mode. For more information about offline-supported features, see Understanding offline features. For more information about creating a case type, see Creating a top-level case type.
Customize the look of selected synchronization indicators by creating and modifying the corresponding style formats.
In the header of Dev Studio, click the name of the application, and then click Skin.
On the Component styles tab, expand the dynamic layouts menu by clicking Dynamic layouts.
In the dynamic layouts menu, in the Controls section, click Buttons.
In the My Formats tab, click Add new style.
In the Create a new format dialog box, in the Format name field, specify the indicator that you want to customize by entering the corresponding value:
- To customize the Offline indicator, enter Mobile Offline Indicator.
- To customize the Syncing indicator, enter Mobile Syncing Indicator.
- To customize the Sync failed. Retry? indicator, enter Mobile SyncFailed Indicator.
- To customize the Successfully synced indicator, enter Mobile Synced Indicator.
In the corresponding editing pane, customize the synchronization indicator.You can customize the following aspects of the indicator:
- Background color
- Font color
- Font size
- Font weight
- Offline case packaging optimization during synchronization
When you design an application that users can access with an offline-enabled mobile app on a mobile device, you can improve the performance of an offline-enabled mobile app when the application contains a large number of case types. You do this by optimizing offline case packaging during synchronization.
- Propagating application model changes to offline-enabled mobile apps
Ensure that changes to the model of your application are reflected in your offline-enabled mobile app by clearing the cache of the app and forcing full synchronization.
- Configuring time-outs for synchronization indicators
Keep users informed about mobile app synchronization in an efficient way by controlling synchronization indicators. For example, you can determine how long the app displays the Successfully synced message.