Accessing server logs on Pega Cloud Services environments by using Kibana
Pega Cloud Services gives you the capability to view your server logs for analysis and tracking purposes. This service is built on the Kibana platform, which provides tools for searching and organizing the data.
|Log type|| |
Log file name
Contains Tomcat server system information such as:
Contains Pega system information such as:
Includes messages created by activities, as well as messages created by standard rules.
|Performance alerts|| |
Contains diagnostic messages for system events that exceed performance thresholds or for failures. Each message includes the following information:
The performance alert message name format is
|Security alerts|| |
Contains messages about alerts that are generated when security of a Pega web node server is at risk.
The security alert message name format is
Contains the following server memory information:
Accessing your log files
For information about accessing your cloud environments, such as the logging URL and login credentials for each environment, refer to the email that you received from Pegasystems notifying you that your cloud environments are ready.
In the environment for which you want to review logs, click the logging URL.
- Enter the credentials that were provided by Pegasystems. The Discover page is displayed, which shows the raw log data.
- In the left navigation pane, click the menu to select the log that you want to view.
- On the screen toolbar, click the time option to set the time reporting range for the log file:
- Quick - Select an option from the list, such as "Week to date."
- Relative - Enter the relative start time.
- Absolute - Enter the start date in the From field and the end date in the To field.
- To search for specific data within the log file, enter search terms into the search bar at the top of the screen. All log entries that match that term are displayed.
- Use a wildcard search, such as *error* or *warning*, to find all entries that match those terms.
- Use exact terms, such as "heap", to search for entries that contain those terms.
- Click the arrow next to a log entry to see additional details.
Creating graphical visualizations of your log files
After you find the log file information that you need, you can represent the data graphically. The following preconfigured visualizations work best in the Pega Cloud environment:
App – Top 10 Exceptions - Displays a pie chart of the top exceptions in the log file. If you point to a portion of the chart, the information that is represented by that portion is displayed.
- Log Levels - Displays a list of the top five message types in the log file and the number logged for the specified reporting time period.
- On the screen toolbar, click Visualize.
- In the Open a saved visualization section, type the name of the visualization that you want to use in the search bar and press Enter. The visualization with your log data is displayed.
- For more information about options for saving and exporting visualizations, see the Kibana User Guide on the Elastic website.
Creating a dashboard
You can display your visualizations on a dashboard for easier viewing.
On the screen toolbar, click Dashboard.
- Click to add a visualization to the dashboard.
- Enter the name of your visualization into the search bar at the top of the screen. A list of visualizations that you have created is displayed.
- From the list, select the visualizations that you want to include in the dashboard. You can expand or rearrange the visualizations on the dashboard, as necessary.
- On the toolbar next to the search field, click Save Dashboard.