How Pega Cloud keeps your environment current
Pega Cloud Services ensures that you have access to the latest features and capabilities of Pega Platform and your Pega applications by performing periodic system maintenance on your Pega Cloud environments. This is part of the standard maintenance policy Pegasystems Inc. provides to clients as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates.
Pegasystems Inc. updates the supporting infrastructure services of each environment, including the database, to include the latest security and performance benefits, service enhancements, and new capabilities. Infrastructure updates are zero-downtime and do not change the Pega software running in the Pega Cloud environment. For details about the Pega Cloud infrastructure update process and the expected client experience, see:
PegasystemsInc. applies cumulative patch releases of the latest Pega Platform 8.x software to client environments and the patch-supported customer relationship management (CRM) applications running in Pega Cloud Services environments. Each patch includes important security, supportability, and reliability improvements and bug fixes. The bug fixes are based on a wide range of client feedback, which ensures that each client has access to addressed issues across each Pega Infinity release. Patch installation is zero-downtime and includes only rule changes observed between the patch and the current version; patches do not require a cloned environment for validation. For more information about Pega Platform and supported CRM patches, see Pega Platform Patch Releases - Resolved Issues Download and Pega Cloud patches include latest CRM application patches.
- Patch process for releases 8.3.x and later
- Patch process for releases 8.2.x and earlier
- To review the patch support policies, see Pega software maintenance and extended support policy.
Pega upgrades the environment to the latest major or minor software versions of Pega Platform and the suite of CRM applications running in Pega Cloud Services environments. With each software upgrade, Pega commits to making Pega Platform and Pega application software changes that are backwards compatible and include the latest security updates, capabilities, feature enhancements, performance improvements, and supportability enhancements. Software upgrades for Pega Cloud environments include a cloned environment for validation.
Pega implements a two-phased software upgrade process consisting of a basic upgrade phase and a feature adoption phase. With the basic upgrade phase, clients can benefit from the latest performance and security improvements without affecting their existing Pega applications. After the basic upgrade is complete, clients can use the feature adoption phase to take advantage of the latest Pega Infinity and application features using their standard DevOps process. The upgrade process features upgrade assessment tools, an upgraded, cloned environment to complete compatibility testing, and testing orchestration with upgrade pipeline in Deployment Manager. Pega supports both a major upgrade (7.x to 8.x) and a minor upgrade (8.x to 8.y) of the Pega Infinity software in a client's environment:
- Pega Infinity upgrades starting from version 8.4.2 feature a near-zero-downtime process, so your environment remains available throughout the upgrade process. It also includes a go/no-go phase during the production upgrade in which clients perform a final confidence check of their applications. Pega upgrades the production environment only after clients indicate a go approval. The entire upgrade process usually takes around 15 days. For details about the minor Pega Cloud upgrade process and the expected client experience, see Minor upgrade process for Pega 8.4.x and later.
- Software upgrades from previous versions may require downtime and some post-upgrade steps. The entire upgrade process usually takes around 30 days. For details about the major Pega Cloud upgrade process and the expected client experience, see Major upgrade process to the latest Pega Platform release.