How Pega Cloud keeps your environment current
Pega Cloud Services ensures that you have access to the latest features and capabilities of Pega Platform and your Pega applications by performing periodic system maintenance on your Pega Cloud environments. This is part of the standard maintenance policy Pega provides to you as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates.
Pega updates the supporting infrastructure services of each environment, including the database, to include the latest security and performance benefits, service enhancements, and new capabilities. Infrastructure updates are zero-downtime and do not change the Pega software running in the Pega Cloud environment. For details about the Pega Cloud infrastructure update process and the expected experience, see:
Pega applies cumulative patch releases of the latest Pega Platform 8.x software to your environments and the patch-supported customer relationship management (CRM) applications running in Pega Cloud Services environments. Each patch includes important security, supportability, and reliability improvements and bug fixes. The bug fixes are based on a wide range of client feedback, which ensures that you have access to addressed issues across each Pega Infinity release. Patch installation is zero-downtime and includes only rule changes observed between the patch and the current version; patches do not require a cloned environment for validation. For more information about Pega Platform and supported CRM patches, see Pega Platform Patch Releases - Resolved Issues Download and Pega Cloud patches include latest CRM application patches.
- Patch process for releases 8.3.x and later
- Patch process for releases 8.2.x and earlier
- To review the patch support policies, see Pega software maintenance and extended support policy.
Pega upgrades the environment to the latest major or minor software versions of Pega Platform and the suite of CRM applications running in Pega Cloud Services environments. With each software upgrade, Pega commits to making Pega Platform and Pega application software changes that are backwards compatible and include the latest security updates, capabilities, feature enhancements, performance improvements, and supportability enhancements. Software upgrades for Pega Cloud environments include a cloned environment for validation.
Pega implements a two-phased software upgrade process consisting of a basic upgrade phase and a feature adoption phase. With the basic upgrade phase, you can benefit from the latest performance and security improvements without affecting your existing Pega applications. After the basic upgrade is complete, you can use the feature adoption phase to take advantage of the latest Pega Infinity and application features using your standard DevOps process. The upgrade process features upgrade assessment tools, an upgraded, cloned environment to complete compatibility testing, and testing orchestration with upgrade pipeline in Deployment Manager. Pega supports near-zero downtime upgrades and upgrades with minimal downtime of the Pega Infinity software in your environment:
- Pega Infinity upgrades starting from version 8.4.2 feature a near-zero-downtime process, so your environment remains available throughout the upgrade process. It also includes a Go-NoGo phase during the production upgrade in which you perform a final confidence check of your applications. Pega upgrades the production environment only after you indicate a go approval. The entire upgrade process usually takes around 15 days. For details about the minor Pega Cloud upgrade process and the expected experience, see Pega Cloud Services upgrade process for Pega Infinity release 8.4.2 and later.
- Software upgrades from previous versions may require downtime and some post-upgrade steps. The entire upgrade process usually takes around 30 days. For details about the major Pega Cloud upgrade process and the expected experience, see Major upgrade process to the latest Pega Platform release.