The patch process for releases 8.3.x and later
Pega Cloud® Services applies patches to Pega Platform™ running in the client environment. Pega Platform patches bundle the bug and security fixes over a given period into a cumulative release that improves the overall quality of the software without touching the environment infrastructure. For more information, see Pega Platform patches.
Pega Platform software upgrades are a separate process from the Pega Platform patch process. For instance, applying Pega Platform patches does not require a cloned environment for validation. For more information, see The Pega Cloud Services software upgrade process.
The information provided in this document is for planning purposes and is subject to change at the discretion of Pegasystems Inc.
Benefits the patch process for Pega Cloud Services environment
Pega Cloud Services applies Pega Platform patches to each client environment with zero downtime and without touching the environment infrastructure. Clients must follow these best practices to ensure background processes are not interrupted:
- Best practices for writing activities for background jobs
- Best practices for processing files using the file listener
In Pega Cloud Services environments running Pega Platform 8.3.x and later, the patch process is enhanced compared to systems running 8.2.x and earlier to deliver the following benefits:
- Environment infrastructure improvements now mean faster tier start-up times after the patch is applied with as little interruption to your service as possible.
- Clients can make Pega rule changes throughout the patch process.
- Consistent search availability while Pegasystems Inc. applies the patch to the environment.
Pega Platform patches began with 8.1, and cannot be directly applied to environments running Pega Platform 7.x.
Software patch planning considerations
Pega Cloud Services clients should plan to have their software patched by Pegasystems Inc. during their agreed upon standard maintenance window that they defined during the Pega Cloud Services onboarding process. For planning purposes, clients are notified five days in advance and then reminded with a second notification four hours prior to the initiation of the patch application process within the standard maintenance window as defined by the client.
The patch process waits up to 30 minutes for an activity that is running in the background to finish its work; if it is not finished after 30 minutes, the background process is terminated.
Applying Pega Platform patches is part of the standard maintenance policy as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates.
Pegasystems Inc. responsibilities
During the Pega Cloud Services software patch process, Pegasystems Inc. responsibilities include the following actions:
- Manage communications with the client throughout the patch process, including notification before the patch is applied and after the patch application is complete.
- Document any issue that was discovered during the patch process and, if necessary, work with the client to resolve any patch issues.
- Remove any unnecessary rules in each patched environment within seven days of the patch application.
During the software patch process for clients with environments running Pega Platform 8.3.x and later, clients must review the notifications that Pegasystems Inc. sends that includes the details of an upcoming software patch. If a client must reschedule a patch activity, they should call the Pega Support Contact Information hotline listed for their region.