Understanding the Pega Cloud Services software upgrade process
Pegasystems Inc. performs software upgrades on Pega Cloud Services client environments as part of its standard maintenance policy as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates. The Pega Cloud Services software upgrade process supports the latest major (7.x to 8.x) and minor (8.x to 8.y) Pega Platform™ software versions and any Pega applications that are running in Pega Cloud Services environments.
For information regarding planning and preparing for Pega Platform software patches in Pega Cloud Services environments, see Understanding the Pega Cloud Services patch process.
The information provided in this document is for planning purposes and is subject to change at the discretion of Pegasystems Inc.
Standard software upgrade process benefits
The standardized Pega Cloud Services software upgrade process provides clients with an upgraded, cloned staging environment for 30 days. This upgrade model includes the following benefits:
- Clients have a 30-day trial period during which they perform their testing, during which the upgraded, cloned staging environment is supported in Pega Diagnostic Cloud.
- Clients can view the cloned environment in their My Pega Cloud portal. For details, see Managing Pega Cloud environments from My Support Portal.
- Clients can assess the effect of the latest Pega Platform and Pega application capabilities and features and plan their new feature adoption strategy across their Pega Cloud Services environments following the upgrade.
- Clients will see a reduction in downtime and post-upgrade steps.
Software upgrade planning considerations
Clients should plan to have their system software upgraded periodically by Pegasystems Inc. For any questions about a notification from Pegasystems Inc. about an upcoming software upgrade, clients can review the Pegasystems Inc. maintenance policies and procedures article, Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates. Clients should note the following details:
- Pegasystems Inc. performs the software upgrade within the standard maintenance window that the client defined during the Pega Cloud Services onboarding process.
- Pegasystems Inc. notifies clients five days in advance, as well as four hours prior to the software upgrade process. Clients also receive notice when the software upgrade process is initiated and completed for their environment.
- Throughout the Pega Cloud Services software upgrade process, Pegasystems Inc. does not touch the Pega application sample data.
- During the cloning process, Pegasystems Inc. does not copy Cassandra or Kafka data sets from the client staging environment to the upgraded, cloned staging environment.
- Pega reserves the right to remove the cloned environment any time after the 30-day trial period in order to free up Pega Cloud Services resources.
Pegasystems Inc. responsibilities
During the Pega Cloud Services software upgrade process, Pegasystems Inc. responsibilities include the following actions:
- Manage client communications regarding upgrades, scheduling, and required consents throughout the software upgrade process as defined in the maintenance policies and procedures.
- Perform required infrastructure upgrades, clone the staging environment, upgrade the software, and complete a post-upgrade health check.
- Document any issue that was discovered during the cloning and upgrade of the staging environment.
- Work with the client when necessary, by using service requests, to resolve any upgrade issues.
- Remove any unnecessary rules in each upgraded environment within 7 days of completing the upgrade.
- Delete the upgraded, cloned staging environment within 7 days of completing all of the live environment upgrades.
During the Pega Cloud Services software upgrade process, client responsibilities include the following actions:
- Perform and document required post-upgrade fixes on their upgraded, cloned staging environment as well as on their upgraded live environments.
- After Pega Cloud Services completes the upgrade of Pega Platform and your industry applications in your Pega Cloud Services environment, you must review the following links to complete the required post-upgrade steps:
Details of the Pega Cloud Services software upgrade trial period
The Pega Cloud Services software upgrade process requires that Pegasystems Inc. and clients coordinate their efforts throughout the process as the upgrade process advances:
Pegasystems Inc. clones the client staging environment and upgrades the cloned staging environment to the latest Pega Platform and application software, which includes all declared cumulative patches and critical hotfixes as defined in Pega Cloud maintenance and types of system updates.
- During their testing phase, the client addresses any application validation issues. The client verifies the application functionality by using their automated test suites on the upgraded, cloned staging environment.
- The client consents to have Pegasystems Inc. upgrade all their respective live environments (development/staging/production), during the client-defined maintenance window.
- Pegasystems Inc. upgrades all of the live environments of the client to the latest Pega Platform and application software, including all declared, critical hotfixes. Pegasystems Inc. validates the software upgrade process by using a post-upgrade health check and notifies the client after completing the environments upgrades.
The client takes control of the live environments, applies required post-upgrade fixes, and, if required, verifies the application functionality by using their automated test suites on the upgraded live environments.
After the client completes verification testing on all live environments, the client notifies Pegasystems Inc. that all the environments are healthy and that the live environment upgrade is complete.
- Pegasystems Inc. removes any unnecessary rules in each upgraded environment within 7 days of completing the upgrade.
- Pegasystems Inc. deletes the upgraded, cloned staging environment within 7 days of completing all of the live environment upgrades.