Setting Output Bundling and Primary Contact Options
The Output Bundling Settings DDR contains the bundling options for delivering actions -primarily on outbound channels, although the options are available for inbound channels if required.
One of the main goals of bundling actions for outbound delivery is to avoid "spamming" individuals in on-line channels such as email, where without bundling, if multiple actions were selected for a contact, each would result in a separate email being sent.
Bundling allows such multiple actions (for a single contact) to be combined into a single communication containing a predefined bundle "parent", and then each of the actions become bundle "members".
Some bundling-related concepts are described below.
- Intended Recipient
This is set under the Engagement policy tab on the action rule and is stored as the CommunicateTo property on the action. It determines to which contact or contacts an action will be delivered in a multilevel context dictionary configuration. If the configuration is not multilevel, this property will not be available.
There are three possible values:
- Eligible Contact (CommunicateTo= YieldToOriginal) - deliver the action to the contact for whom it was originally assigned, that is, the one for whom the action passed the engagement policy rules. This is the default setting if CommunicateTo has not otherwise been set.
- Redirect to primary contact (CommunicateTo= YieldToPrimary) - deliver only to a primary contact, that is, one who is an authorized contact on the account. If the original contact is not already a primary contact the action will be redirected. An example could be for a family mobile phone plan where a child's phone is eligible for an upgrade, but the action should be sent to the parent and not the child.
- Eligible contact and copy to primary contact (CommunicateTo= YieldToAll) - deliver to the originally assigned contact and to a primary contact if the original contact is not already a primary contact. An example could be for a family mobile phone plan where a child's data usage is approaching the line limit, so the action should be sent to the parent as well as the child.
- Deliver Offline
- This refers to whether the outbound treatment will deliver to an offline medium such as a database table or file or whether the treatment delivers to a live channel. The setting is held in the pyDeliverOffline property which is true for offline delivery, or otherwise false. It is automatically set (to true or false) within the NBA Designer Framework based on the treatment definition, and separate bundle settings can be defined for each of these settings.
- This determines whether or not output bundling is required for a particular channel
and Deliver Offline setting and can be set to one of the following values:
- Always - perform bundling for every communication on the channel, regardless of the number of actions assigned to each contact.
- Never - never perform bundling for communications on the channel. This is the default for both inbound and outbound channels if no settings for the channel have been defined.
- As Needed - perform bundling for a communication on the channel to a contact if more than one action is assigned to the contact.
This is only relevant in cases where it is possible to have more than one primary (authorized) contact for an account / relationship. For example, for a mobile phone family plan, parents and adult children may be authorized contacts, whereas minors are not, and for retail banking, only a single primary contact may be allowed.
If this setting is true, all actions that are redirected to a primary contact (CommunicateTo = YieldToPrimary or YieldToAll), and were not originally assigned to a Primary Contact,will be assigned only to the preferred primary contact. All actions assigned to a Primary Contact other than the preferred Primary Contact, that have not been redirected – that is, they were originally assigned to the contact – will be discarded. This is the default for outbound channels if no settings for the channel have been defined.
If this setting is false, all actions that are redirected to a primary contact (CommunicateTo = YieldToPrimary or YieldToAll), and were not originally assigned to a Primary Contact, will be assigned to each primary contact. Any actions originally assigned to any Primary Contact will be unaffected. This is the default setting for inbound channels if no settings for the channel have been defined.
- Output Bundling Use Cases
The following output bundling use cases are examples of how to definethese settings for various scenarios.