Timeline view of customer events
Pega applications track customer activities and display the activities in a timeline view on the customer composite. The customer composite provides two timeline widgets to display customer activities.
- The Customer Journey widget is the default view of customer events. Operators can filter the timeline by application and can click an event to view details.
- The legacy Customer Movie widget is still available for use by customers who prefer that widget. Administrators can disable the Customer Journey widget and enable the Customer Movie widget. The Customer Movie widget does not provide a detailed view of each event.
Applications enabled for decision-management track customer activities as event type records that can be retrieved at a later time. The events are stored in the Event Store data set. You can retrieve the data from the event store data set for an individual customer or a group of customers. The application also tracks interaction history data from Pega Customer Decision Hub.
Many events are tracked automatically, but administrators can create new event types to track additional activities.
In Pega Customer Service applications, the following customer activities are tracked automatically:
- All interaction types across all channels
- All service case types
In Pega Sales automation applications, the following customer activities are tracked automatically:
- Creation of a customer, appointment, lead, opportunity, or task service case
- Email receipt
- Opportunity loss or win
In Pega Marketing, offer-related activities are tracked automatically.
Customer event tracking in your application
To capture customer events in your application, enable decisioning services. If Decision Strategy Manager is deployed in the application server, then create nodes in the decisioning landing pages (Designer Studio > Decisioning > Infrastucture > Services). For more information, see Decision Strategy Manager (DSM) - landing pages.
Add the nodes to the decisioning landing pages. By default, each added node has a status of NORMAL. For more information on decision nodes, see About decision data nodes. If Decision Strategy Manager is deployed and nodes are not added or if Decision Strategy Manager is not deployed, then customer events are not captured and the timeline widget is empty.
Changing the timeline widget
The default timeline widget is the Customer Journey widget. To use the legacy Customer movie widget instead, complete the following steps:
- In Designer Studio, search for and select the CSTimelineSettings data transform rule.
- Save a copy of the rule.
- Change the value of the .EnableTimelineControl setting from
- Save the changes.
Creating new event types
To track customer activities that are not tracked by default so you can view those events in timeline widgets, complete the following steps:
- Click Designer Studio > Decisioning > Infrastructure > Customer Movie > Event Catalog.
- Click New, and then click Create.
- Follow the wizard instructions to run the Create New Event Type wizard, as described in Creating an event type in the Event Catalog. The wizard creates a data flow that captures the customer data and stores it in the repository.
- Open the newly created dataflow and update it per your requirements to capture the events. For example, see the ServiceCaseCMF and InteractionCMF data flows.
- To capture an event, call the CaptureEvent flow from your case flow. This CaptureEvent flow calls the CaptureEvent activity to run your data flow.
This step is required only if you are using the Customer movie widget; it is not required if you are using the Customer Journey widget.
- To map the appropriate properties, override the EventDetails data transform rule in your case. For example, if your case type is Complaint or Compliment, override the EventDetails data transform in PegaCA-Work-Complaint class.
- Override the DefineEventDataFlow activity in your case and call the data flow that you created in step 2.
- Save all of your changes.
Configuring the Customer Journey widget to display new event types
By default, the Customer Journey widget displays only the application-provided event types. If you have created a new event type to track a customer activity and you want to display that event type in the Customer Journey widget, complete the following steps:
- In Designer Studio, search for and select the CPMPerformDefaults activity, then modify it in the PegaCA-Work and PegaCA-Work-Interaction classes to call the CaptureEvent utility.
- In Designer Studio, search for and select the EventDetails data transform in the appropriate class for the event type, then map the case Key (pzInsKey property) for all needed properties for event capture.
For more information about managing events, see Customer Movie landing page.