Troubleshooting pyIndexDirectory null after nodes restart
When one or more nodes in a clustered environment are restarted, Searches fail across all nodes and the Search landing page reports that there is no indexing host node.
Search fails across all nodes after one or more nodes are restarted.
Steps to Reproduce
- Using the appropriate JVM argument for specifying index directory, set up a cluster with at least three (3) nodes, where at least one node is a search index host node and the other nodes are not.
- Leave the search index host node (or nodes) up and simultaneously restart two or more other nodes.
The problem is caused by inconsistent results from search initialization cluster logic.
Search initialization has logic to remove offline nodes during startup, which the Hazelcast API was being used for. In this case, the Hazelcast API is not reliable because both search initialization and Hazelcast cluster membership occur concurrently as startup tasks.
Therefore, search initialization cluster logic needs to rely on the Elasticsearch API (not Hazelcast cluster membership) to determine offline nodes.
Update or upgrade to the latest Pega Platform release.
The issue was resolved, and the correction was delivered in Pega 8.1.6 and Pega 8.2.2.
On the Resolved Issues page, select Pega 8.2.2 and search for Issue 440079, Search initialization logic updated to ensure consistent node member information.
If you cannot update or upgrade your Pega deployment and need to continue using Pega 7.2.2 or a later Pega 7 release, apply the appropriate hotfix.
- Obtain and install the appropriate hotfix for the version of the Pega Platform that you are using.
Pega 7.2.2 HFix-53861
Pega 7.3 HFix-53862
Pega 7.3.1 HFix-53540
Pega 7.4 HFix-53422
- After installing the hotfix, restart the server.
- Go to My Support Portal, https://msp.pega.com/.
- For the account you are affiliated with, click New Support Request form.to open the
- Select Service Type > Product Support.
- Select Request Type > Existing Hotfix.
- In the field Requested Hotfix ID, enter one of the hotfixes listed for the Alternative approach.
- Complete all the other fields of the SR form.
- Click .