Completing the Basic/Advanced Collection tab
Complete the fields on this tab to define the sequence of steps the collection processes at run time. Each step can call a supported rule, set property values, or stop collection processing.
Understanding the basic step structure
The Rules tab is divided into two main columns of information: a list of steps and a set of configuration options related to each step. When you select a step in the first column, the second column dynamically updates to display only the configuration details that are relevant to that step.
Adding a step
To add a new step:
- Click Add step to insert a step into the existing list.
- Click [Edit Description] and enter text in the Step
The text you provide is used in the Collection step list on the Specifications tab.
- Click Submit.
- Hover over the step number.
- When the pointer becomes a drag handle, drag and drop the step to a different position in the list.
Configuring a step
You can now configure the step. You cannot select another step or save the collection until all required fields in the configuration column are populated.
To configure a step:
- Select the step to load the relevant configuration options.
- Complete the fields in the Condition section to define criteria that must be satisfied before the step is run.
- Complete the fields in the Context section to set the scope of the
The context you select restricts the available options in other parts of the form such as the Action and Response actions sections.
- Complete the fields in the Action section to select an action performed by this step. You can call a rule, set properties, or stop collection processing. For example, you can
- Complete the fields in the Response actions section to define sets of tasks that run after the step completes processing.
As you add configuration details in each section, the step column automatically displays a business-friendly label. While the names used in these labels are different for each step, the keywords are universal. You can interpret any set of labels using the following format:
"When [condition criteria are met] run [this action] on [the specified context]"
If you do not see the expected label for a particular step, refresh the collection or select another step in the list.
Understanding run-time behavior
The system evaluates each step on the Rules tab in sequential order. Disabled steps are ignored.
Each step follows the same processing logic:
- Compares the criteria in the Condition section against values on the primary page of the
If the criteria is met, the step continues. Otherwise, the next step in the list is run.
- Switches the context to the page specified in the Context section.
- Calls the rule or method specified in the Action section.
It waits for the rule or method to complete processing before running the response actions.
- Evaluates the condition for each response action.
If the condition is true, the set of tasks associated with the response action is run. Otherwise, the next response action is evaluated.
At the conclusion of step processing, the system returns control to the calling activity or collection.
You can insert additional steps into the run-time sequence by defining actions on the Pre/Post Actions tab.