Configuring dynamic system settings
As a best practice, set system configuration settings by using dynamic system settings data instances. For example, you can use a dynamic system settings to configure which fields are available in full-text search. Dynamic system settings are stored in the Pega Platform database and are used by all nodes that share that database.
- You can change the value of dynamic system settings without redeploying the
application. Editing the
prconfig.xmlfile requires redeploying the application.
- In a multi-node system, the same dynamic system settings can be used by all the nodes that are sharing the database, making system administration easier.
Dynamic system settings can override
prconfig.xmlsettings only when your Pega Platform database is configured to retrieve its data using JNDI, and the
prconfig.xmlfile for a given node has the following setting:
<env name="initialization/settingsource" value="merged" />. See the appropriate deployment guide for your system for information on configuring JNDI in the
The rule and data instances listed below have similar names, but they are not related.
- Application settings rules (Rule-Admin-System-Settings rule type) – Use application settings rules to hold important constant values in your application that are the same in every deployed copy of your application, that can differ by production level, and are rule-resolved.
- Dynamic system settings data instances (Data-Admin-System-Settings) – Use dynamic system settings when the values differ from site to site, such as with URLs, user names, or port numbers, and when they might be set programmatically.
- Setting rules (Rule-Access-Setting rule type) – Use setting rules in role-based access control when defining access roles and permissions.
- Creating a content security policy
Create a content security rule so that browsers load resources only from authorized web sites.
- Editing a dynamic system setting
You can change the default value of a dynamic system setting.
- Java methods for dynamic system settings and application settings
Some dynamic system settings instances are created automatically during installation or upgrade of a Pega Platform system. However, your application can also create, set, or query instances of this class using Java methods in the PublicAPI PRSystemSettings interface.
- Dynamic system settings data instances
As your Pega Platform system operates, dynamic system settings data instances can be created as needed.
- Updating dynamic system settings by submitting a request to an active instance
You can use the prpcServiceUtils tool to update dynamic system setting values, using a web service to connect to an active instance of Pega Platform.
- Updating dynamic system settings by using a direct connection to the database
To automate updating dynamic system settings by connecting directly to the database, complete the following steps. This method is most commonly done for a stopped instance.
ArticleConfiguring your system