Distributing applications between systems
The Pega Platform provides several tools to archive rules, data instances, and work items into .zip files and move them from one Pega Platform system to another. This procedure does not alter or delete the source rules.
- Application Package wizard — A guided process that creates a product rule containing relevant data instances as well as rulesets.
- Export gadget — Creates a .zip archive file from a product rule. The archive can be saved to a file system or exported to a repository.
- Import wizard landing page — Imports a .zip archive file from a file system or a repository.
- Product Migration wizard — Creates a .zip archive file from a product or product patch rule, migrates the archive, and imports it to one or more destination systems.
For example, you can move a product from a development Pega Platform system into a test Pega Platform system. The source and target systems might have different servers, operating systems, database vendors, web server software vendors, and so on. Information inside the .zip file consists entirely of XML documents in Unicode characters.
- Migration tools
You can migrate rules and data between instances of Pega Platform by using Deployment Manager (best practice), interactive tools in Dev Studio, or by using command-line tools.
- Preparing to package and move applications
Before you move your application, prepare the source and target system.
A keystore is a file that contains keys and certificates that you use for encryption, authentication, and serving content over HTTPS. In Pega Platform, you create a keystore data instance that points to a keystore file.
- Packaging an application from App Studio
Package your application to create an archive on your local system that you can import to another system.
- Exporting an application, product rule, or ruleset to an archive or repository by using the Export wizard
Export rules from a Pega Platform system into an product rule, archive file, or repository by using the export wizard. An archive is useful for sharing rulesets between instances of Pega Platform.
- Importing rules and data by using the Import wizard
Import rules and data instances from your file system or repository into your Pega Platform instance by using the Import wizard. Rules, data, and other artifacts in the imported file are added to the rules that are already in this system. Use the Import wizard to upload archives up to 1 GB in size; for larger files, use File Transfer Protocol (FTP) or another means to place the file into the ServiceExport directory.
- Using restore points to enable error recovery
Restore points mark a significant point in time for your system. You can roll back to a restore point later to return the rules and data of the system to that point in time. For example, if importing an application caused problems, you might want to roll it back.
- Distributing product rules to multiple systems by using the Product Migration wizard
Use the Product Migration wizard to push your product rule to multiple systems in a single step from the user interface. The wizard simplifies the management of rule assets across Pega Platform systems.
- Distributing an application from command line
For complex application distribution tasks, use the command-line tools to export, import, and migrate rules and data. If you have a running Pega Platform node, need to run asynchronous operations, or you do not have a direct connection to the database, use the prpcServiceUtils tool. If you do not have a running Pega Platform node, use the prpcUtils tool.
- Reviewing migration results
After you move your application, review the results of the move.