How to add a SmartLabel pop-up to a harness, section, or flow action rule
Introduced in V5.4, a SmartLabel is a label on a harness, section, or flow action form that provides a pop-up window when the user holds the mouse pointer over the label text.
A SmartLabel can be useful to provide users with runtime explanations for a field. The contents of the pop-up window are defined by a section rule, which can contain conditional fields, be localized into multiple languages, and so on.
By default the text appears in a dark red font, and the cursor shape changes to a question mark when over the SmartLabel.
Follow these steps to add a SmartLabel control to a harness, section, or flow action form.
1. Identify or create the section rule. In most cases, set the Applies To key part of the section rule to match the Applies To key part of the rule that is to contain the SmartLabel.
2. Open the harness, section, or flow action rule. Select SmartLabel from the Advanced group of controls.
3. Drag the control from the menu and drop the control in a cell. Click the magnifying glass icon to the right of the cell to open the Cell Properties panel.
4. Complete the Cell Properties panels. On the Field tab, accept the default placeholder property .pyTemplateSmartLabel. On the Presentation tab, click the magnifying glass icon at the right of the Format field.
5. Complete the pop-up Params window to supply three parameters for the SmartLabel: the text of the label, the second key part of the section, and header text for the pop-up window.
6. Click Save to close the Params window.
7. Optionally, complete additional fields on the Presentation and Conditions tabs of the Cell properties panel to control additional aspects of the label.
8. Click Apply to apply changes to the Cell Properties panel. Click OK to close the Cell Properties panel.
9. Save the rule form. Test with the Preview toolbar button, the Run toolbar button, or in context of the application.
Comparing SmartLabel pop-ups and paragraph pop-ups
The SmartLabel control is similar but distinct from the SmartInfo control associated with a paragraph. (Version 5.3 supports the paragraph capability). Both provide pop-up section displays when the user hovers the pointer.
- Unlike a cell containing a paragraph, a cell containing a SmartLabel consists only of text in a red font. A paragraph can contain images, bold and italicized text, conditional text, and other HTML markup.
- With a SmartLabel, the red text provides a visual clue that a pop-up section is available. A paragraph in a cell provides no automatic clue that a pop-up section is available.