Using Pega for Outlook with Pega Sales Automation
Pega Sales Automation provides two add-ins that you can install and configure to integrate the application with Microsoft Outlook. Both add-ins provide real-time, context-specific insight into your Pega Sales Automation contacts, leads, opportunities, accounts, and organizations directly from Microsoft Outlook.
Unless your organization is using Outlook 2010, we recommend the Office add-in, because it leverages the latest add-in technology, is easier to deploy, and is supported on more devices. Outlook 2016 offers the best customer experience. Also, consider support for pinnable behavior, as described in the following table.
| ||Pega for Outlook Office add-in||Pega for Outlook VSTO add-in|
|Microsoft Outlook Client support|
32-bit and 64-bit Outlook 2013 and 2016 for Windows clients.
Outlook for Mac 2016 (with Exchange 2013 Service Pack 1 or higher).Not supported on Outlook 2010 for Windows.
|32-bit and 64-bit Outlook 2010, 2013, and 2016 clients.|
Requires local installation - not supported on Office 365 Outlook in the web.
Not supported on any version of Outlook for Mac.
|Web Mail support|
Supports Office 365 Outlook on the web.
Does not support the Outlook Web App for Exchange 2013 and 2016 because these web clients do not support taskpane style add-ins.
|Not supported on any web mail platform.|
|Microsoft Exchange Server support||Support for Exchange Server versions 2013, 2016, and Microsoft Exchange Online (365).|
Not supported on Microsoft Exchange 2010.
|Support for versions 2010, 2013, 2016, and Microsoft Exchange Online (365). |
|Mobile||Supported on iOS and Android Outlook Apps and browsers using Office 365 accounts.||Not supported on any mobile devices.|
|Deployment and installation ||Import a manifest file on the Microsoft Exchange server to enable the add-in for all or for select users.||Requires installation on each user’s PC.|
|SSO support||Supports single sign-on (SSO) functionality. After you log in to the Pega for Outlook Office add-in for the first time, you can access it from any device without reentering your login credentials.||Does not support single sign-on (SSO) functionality, but it does remember your password until you explicitly log out of the add-in.|
|Display behavior||On Outlook 2016 for PC and Office 365 Outlook on the web, use the Pinnable taskpane feature to keep the add-in open for emails.|
Pinnable support is not available on Outlook 2013.
|Remains open in both email and calendar views. Users can temporarily collapse add-in.|
|Sync support||Unsync is supported.||Unsync is not supported. After an email or meeting is synced from the add-In, it can not be unsynced. |
For more information about the Sales Automation integration with Microsoft Outlook, see:
After you complete the installation and configuration of the Pega for Outlook VSTO add-in, you can use your Microsoft Outlook client software to connect your email messages and calendar appointments with Pega Sales Automation records. Access the Pega for Outlook Office add-in in both Microsoft Outlook Client software and browsers.
- To see information about the recipients of a Microsoft Outlook message, click the message in your Microsoft Outlook folder. Data related to the contacts in that message automatically display in the Pega Sales Automation side panel. When the message is opened, all of the email addresses in the message are sent to Pega Sales Automation and are compared to existing Pega Sales Automation contact addresses. If there is a match, the contact's information together with the associated objects information is displayed in the Pega Sales Automation panel.
- To synchronize messages and appointments between Microsoft Outlook and Pega Sales Automation, look at the Pega Sales Automation panel in Microsoft Outlook.
- A green check icon when you select a message indicates that the message has been synchronized with Pega Sales Automation. To open Sales Automation in your default web browser, click the icon and select View in Browser. To see more details, click the Activities tab.
- A blue email icon next to a message indicates that it is not yet synchronized with Pega Sales Automation. To synchronize the message, click the blue icon. When synchronization is complete, the icon turns into green check icon.
- To see the meeting in Pega Sales Automation, click the entry in Pega Sales Automation panel and select View in Browser, then click the Activities tab.
- To search all Pega Sales Automation work objects from Microsoft Outlook, in the Pega Sales Automation panel, click the Search field. To open any of the results in Pega Sales Automation, click an item in the search results and select View in Browser.
Published October 31, 2017 — Updated December 3, 2018