Configuring a Facebook page for an Intelligent Virtual Assistant
You can use an Intelligent Virtual Assistant (IVA) for Facebook Messenger as a channel for interacting with Pega Customer Service to answer common questions, execute a service case, or escalate to a Customer Service Representative (CSR).
To configure an Intelligent Virtual Assistant for Facebook Messenger that interacts with Pega Customer Service, perform the following steps.
Creating a Facebook page
Creating a Facebook page generates a unique Facebook Page ID. You need this ID to configure the Intelligent Virtual Assistant for Facebook Messenger in Pega Customer Service.
- Log in to the Facebook developer portal by entering your Facebook credentials.
- If you do not already have a Facebook page, create a Facebook page and specify its type and category.
- On left side of the page, click About.
- In the More Info section, save the generated Page ID for your Facebook page, for example:
Adding a Facebook Messenger app
Add a Facebook Messenger app from the Facebook developer portal. Creating a Facebook app generates a unique page-access token for the app. You need this token to configure the Intelligent Virtual Assistant for Facebook Messenger in Pega Customer Service.
- Log in to the Facebook developer portal.
- Add or create a Facebook app, and then specify a unique name, contact email address, and the Messenger category. For more details, see the Facebook website.
- In the Products section on the left side, click Messenger.
- In the Token Generation section, click the name of Facebook page that you have created.
- Verify the security information and save the page-access token that was generated for the new Facebook Messenger app that you created. For example:
Setting up a Facebook channel in Pega Customer Service
You must add a new Facebook channel instance to Pega Customer Service and configure it with the new Intelligent Virtual Assistant for Facebook Messenger, specifying the Facebook Page ID and page-access token that you created. Every Facebook user who interacts with Pega Customer Service is mapped to a separate Pega Customer Service operator and a user account. This unique account is created automatically when a Facebook user interacts with the Intelligent Virtual Assistant for Facebook Messenger for the first time. The account is reused in all future interactions for that Facebook user.
- Log in to Pega Express.
- In the Pega Express list, click Manage Application views.
- In the Create new App view section, click Facebook channel.
- Complete the required fields on the Facebook channel page that you have created.
- On the Connection tab, complete the following tasks.
- In the Bot ID field, enter Page ID for the previously created Facebook page, for example:
- In the Template Operator ID list, click the name of an existing Pega Customer Service operator to use as the template. The selected value is used as a template from which all accounts are created. Each account has a unique Facebook identifier set as its ID. To distinguish these types of accounts in Pega Customer Service, set the Full Name field of this template operator account to, for example,
Facebook operator, and add it to the designated operator group.
- In the Page Access Token field, enter the page access token value that was generated for the Facebook Messenger app. For example:
Updating the Facebook Messenger app
After you configure a new Facebook channel instance in Pega Customer Service, update this information for your Facebook Messenger app.
- Log in to the Facebook developer portal.
- Select the previously created Facebook Messenger app.
- In the Webhooks section for the app, click Setup Webhooks.
- In the Callback URL field, enter the URL for your Pega Customer Service instance where you defined your new Facebook channel using the following format.
- In the Verify Token field, enter
- In the Subscription Fields section, select the messages, messaging_postbacks, and messaging_account_linking check boxes.
- Click Verify and Save.
Verifying the Configuration
- Log in to the Facebook developer portal and write a message to your Facebook page. A message verifies that Facebook Messenger is configured with a Pega Customer Service instance:
Hi, welcome to Intelligent Virtual Assistant for Facebook Messenger.
Published March 21, 2017 — Updated May 2, 2017