Pega Cloud Services availability and resiliency
For optimum availability, Pega Cloud Services uses the Amazon Web Services (AWS) infrastructure as a service (IaaS). The AWS infrastructure is composed of regions and availability zones. AWS regions are geographically distant, logically defined, and jurisdictionally distinct operating areas. An AWS region consists of multiple availability zones, which are commonly managed, logically defined combinations of redundant and geographically separate physical locations. The use of availability zones protects against zone faults and localized service disruptions.
For more information about availability zones, see the Amazon Web Services website. The following AWS regions are currently available:
|Asia Pacific (Singapore)||ap-southeast-1|
|Asia Pacific (Sydney)||ap-southeast-2|
|Asia Pacific (Tokyo)||ap-northeast-1|
|Asia Pacific (Mumbai)||ap-south-1|
|South America (São Paulo)||sa-east-1|
|US East (N. Virginia)||us-east-1|
|US East (Ohio)||us-east-2|
|US West (N. California)||us-west-1|
|US West (Oregon)||us-west-2|
Customers select the region into which they want their virtual private cloud to be deployed, either to meet legal requirements or to be located closer to their customers. Pega Cloud Services provisions customer sandbox and production environments into that region/VPC, with components deployed across availability zones.
Load-balancing services are deployed across all Pega Cloud Services environments to manage traffic. In environments with multiple application servers spread across multiple availability zones, these load-balancing services drive traffic to healthy nodes, masking any application server failures that might occur.
Pega Cloud Database Replication and Data Backup services have robust recovery time objective (RTO) and recovery point objective (RPO) policies for production and sandbox environments.
- The Pega Cloud Services Database Replication service protects production environments by deploying a real-time database mirror in a different availability zone. Failover to the production mirror is automatic, with a recovery point objective (RPO) of less than 1 minute. This is the maximum amount of time during which data might be lost from a customer database. The recovery time objective (RTO) is less than 4 minutes. This is the targeted time to restore the customer's cloud service.
- The Pega Cloud Services Data Backup service backs up customer data in all sandbox and production environments on an ongoing basis with a recovery point objective (RPO) of less than 10 minutes. Database backup recovery time objective (RTO) depends on the size of the system deployed.
The Pega Cloud Services virtual private network (VPN) service implements a warm-standby channel within the primary tunnel. If a failure occurs in the primary channel, the service automatically fails over to the secondary channel.
Availability monitoring in Pega Cloud Services
Pega Cloud Services Operations continuously monitors the cloud environment and generates internal alerts for variances in thresholds. Some examples of the monitoring protocols implemented to ensure optimal availability include:
- Server responsiveness – Proactive, regular ping
- CPU utilization – Proactive monitoring with alert when utilization exceeds threshold
- Memory utilization (buffered and cached) – Proactive monitoring with alert when utilization exceeds threshold
- Disk utilization – Proactive monitoring with alert when utilization exceeds threshold
- Application server accessibility – WGET/Curl, alert if no response
- Application server – WGET/Curl and JMX, alert if no response
- Application server Heap utilization – WGET/Curl, alert when utilization exceeds threshold
- Database – Proactive, regular database query; alert if no response
- Database table space utilization – Proactive, regular database query; alert when utilization exceeds threshold
- Database errors – Proactive, regular database query; alert if error returned
Support and maintenance
If customers encounter issues with the availability of their Pega Cloud Services subscription, they can open a service request in My Support Portal.
For questions about Pega Cloud Services maintenance policies, see Pega Cloud Services maintenance and types of system updates.
83% found this useful