Running a background process
Speed up case resolution and automate actions in your cases by running background processes. You can use the Run in background shape to start a background process, such as asynchronous processing or queuing items.For example, by implementing queue processors, your application can send notifications to users and calculate information such as the list of recipients, the message, and the channel asynchronously to the flow of the case. As a result, case processing can continue before the background process ends.
The Run in background shape uses a Queue Processor rule for background processing. You can select a standard queue processor rule that Pega Platform includes by default, or you can use a custom, dedicated queue processor rule.
In the navigation pane of Dev Studio, click Case types, and then click the case type that you want to open.
On the Workflow tab, click Life cycle.
Hover over a process in a stage, and then click.
In the Step properties pane, in the Type of queue list, choose a type of the queue processor that you want to run:
For more information about when to use standard or dedicated queues, see Queue Processor rules:
- To use a default queue processor, select Standard, and then in the Activity name field, provide an activity that the rule runs.
- To use a custom queue processor rule, select Dedicated, and then in the Queue processor field, provide the queue processor that you want to run.
In the Lock using list, select a type of lock that you want to apply:
- To open a top-level page that your application currently processes,
select Primary page.
Your application uses a pzInskey to find and lock the page.
- To open a page that you define manually, select Key defined on property, and then in the Property name field, enter a property name that corresponds with the page that you want to open and lock.
- To open a page without a lock from the database, select None.
- To open a top-level page that your application currently processes, select Primary page.
To resolve the activity in a different context than the context that your application uses to queue the item, in the Alternate access group field, enter the name of an access group that you want to use to resolve the activity.