Intelligent Virtual Assistant Archive
Pega® Intelligent Virtual Assistant, also referred to as a conversational user channel, is the technology or application with which a user interacts with a Pega Platform application. A chatbot is the part of a Pega Platform application that handles natural language processing (NLP), case processing, and artificial intelligence to interact with users in a conversational way. Conversational channels add value to an organization because users can interact with a Pega Platform application in multiple ways, for example, obtain more information or report a problem by using Facebook Messenger, Amazon Alexa, or by sending email or mobile text (SMS) messages. Pega also offers an extendable architecture so that customers can build a custom integration to other conversational channels.
A user of a conversational channel communicates with Pega Platform to carry out actions, for example, to open a case or display a menu of available commands. You must define a Pega Platform channel interface for each configured channel instance. Each channel interface interacts with a user in a simple question and answer form. User conversation sessions are saved in channel interaction cases for the defined channel interface so that you can track all the information reported by users, as well as respond to and resolve their problems more quickly.
Integration components are provided for:
- Amazon Alexa - Use voice commands.
- Email - Send email messages.
- Facebook - Send text messages in Messenger.
- SMS - Send text messages from a mobile phone.
For more information, see Conversational user channels.
You obtain and install the Alexa channel component from Pega Exchange. Next, you configure it as a channel interface on the Amazon Developer portal and in the Pega Platform settings. A user can then use voice commands to interact with a Pega Platform application, for example, to open a case.
Alexa channel configuration page
You configure the Email channel as a channel interface so that email instantiation is automatically configured for the selected case. A user can then send email messages to open top-level cases in Pega Platform.
Email channel configuration page
You obtain and install the Facebook channel component from Pega Exchange. The Facebook channel allows users to communicate with a Pega Platform application by using Facebook Messenger. It has several key features. You can:
- Configure the channel as a channel interface by creating a Facebook page, adding a Facebook app, and updating Pega Platform settings.
- Use predefined system responses, for example, an initial greeting message or message stating that no match was found to a user command.
- Define custom responses to fit the business needs of your organization.
- Open cases in Pega Platform in response to a user command.
- Define text analyzer rules that use artificial intelligence to decide on the best response to show to a user. Text analyzer rules support sentiment, classification, intent, and entity extraction analysis.
- Use the preview console to test and configure responses during the design stage.
Facebook chatbot preview console
You first obtain and install the SMS channel component from Pega Exchange. Next, you configure the SMS channel as a channel interface on the Tropo developer portal and in the Pega Platform settings. A user can then send mobile text (SMS) messages to interact with a Pega Platform application, for example, to open a case.
SMS channel configuration page