Using Pega Cloud File Storage
Pega Cloud File Storage is a file storage solution that Pega integrates into Pega Platform to support your Pega applications as a repository for your Pega Cloud Services application case attachments, SFTP Service transactions, Business Intelligence Exchange (BIX) extract files, archived case files, and exported interactions and decisions.
- Integrated beginning with Pega 7.3
Pega Cloud File Storage is pre-configured to support your Pega Cloud applications. Disk space is pre-allocated with separate sub-folders for your cloud environments (development, staging, and production). Default paths are configured for each environment, and security settings used default to the credentials and keys in your Pega Cloud profile.
- Cost-effective cloud file storage
Pega Cloud File Storage is a cost-effective solution for storing archived cases, case attachments, BIX data extracts, and data uploaded through the Pega Cloud SFTP service. Pega Cloud production subscription clients receive 500 GB of file storage to use across all environments in the subscription. Pega Cloud production subscribers can purchase additional Pega Cloud File Storage in 500 GB increments. Pega Cloud File Storage costs significantly less than our cloud database storage and is priced well below many of our competitors.
- No limits on file counts or total storage size
By not limiting the number or size of files stored, Pega Cloud File Storage can scale to your business needs. Individual files can be up to 5 TB.
- Secure, private, and reliable solution
Pega Cloud File Storage is highly reliable, private, and secure. Only your applications can access your storage space, and data is encrypted both in transit and at rest.
- The same support staff for both your application and your cloud
The Pega Cloud Support team provides support for Pega Platform, strategic application solutions, and Pega Cloud File Storage. This breadth of knowledge results in faster and more effective responses, which third-party storage providers cannot match. Pega support services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Soft limits on storage space
By providing soft limits on storage space, Pega Cloud File Storage gives you time to clean up your storage space or purchase additional storage, averting an out-of-space crisis.
- Data retention policy
For archived case data, you can apply a data retention policy to delete archived files from Pega Cloud File Storage. For more information, see Case archiving and purging overview.
After you delete a file in Pega Cloud File Storage, such as by using a data retention policy or REST API, you can recover the file within 30 days of deletion (see
Recovering deleted Pega Cloud File Storage files).
Pega otherwise does not delete any data in your Pega Cloud File Storage repository until Pega decommissions an environment upon your request.
Accessing and managing files in your Pega Cloud File Storage repository
For Pega Cloud Services systems, Pega uses Pega Cloud File Storage as
the default repository, which appears as
in the list of repositories in .
You manage your files in a Pega Cloud File Storage repository with the following methods:
- using the Repository API to interact with your files
- using an SFTP client to add or delete files in their dedicated SFTP sub-folder
- configuring a file listener to process your files
- To use a Pega Platform repository API to manage files in your repository, see Repository APIs.
- To configure a file listener to process files in a repository, see Configuring a file service and file listener to process data in file.
- To use an SFTP client to interact with the Pega Cloud File Storage dedicated SFTP sub-folder through the Pega Cloud Services SFTP service, see Pega Cloud Services SFTP Service.
For more information about Pega Cloud File Storage, contact you Pega Account Executive.
Using Pega Cloud File Storage repository records and sub-folders
Pega Cloud File Storage stores applicable files in different sub-folders dependent on the feature Pega Cloud File Storage utilizes.
Select the appropriate record for the following Pega Platform features and use cases:
- The pegacloudfilestorage record maps to the
/attachmentsfor case attachments and
\archivefor archived case files.The pegacloudfilestorage record also contains the /sftp sub-folder, but not select or use the /sftp sub-folder for case attachments and Pulse comments.
- For configuring the location for Pega application case attachments, use the
pegacloudfilestorage repository record and the
- For referencing archived case data in Pega Cloud, use the
pegacloudfilestorage repository record and the
Pega Platform creates the /archive sub-folder after you run the initial archival job.
For more information about case archiving, see Improving performance by archiving cases.
- For creating a temporary file storage location sub-folder in
pegacloudfilestorage, use the following method:
- In the navigation pane of Dev Studio, go to .
- In the Data Page instance list, filter the Page Name column for D_pxNewFolder and select it.
- In the Actions list, select Run.
- In the Run Data Page: New Folder dialog
window, specify your new sub-folder by entering the following
- In the repositoryName field, enter pegacloudfilestorage.
- In the folderPath field, enter your new folder name. For example, enter new_folder to create pegacloudfilestorage\new_folder.
- To create the folder, in the Run Data Page: New
Folder dialog window, select
For more information about Pega repository APIs, see Repository APIs.
- For configuring the location for Pega application case attachments, use the pegacloudfilestorage repository record and the
- The pegacloudrepository record maps to
/sftp subfolder for files moved in Pega Platform with the
SFTP Service and
/bixfor extract files. To reference the location used by the Pega Cloud SFTP service, or BIX extract files, use pegacloudrepository.
- The pegacloudrepository record automatically directs to the pegacloudfilestorage /sftp sub-folder to upload and download files used by the Pega Cloud SFTP service.
- For referencing, obtaining, or deleting BIX extract files with the Pega Cloud SFTP service, BIX FTP server, or an activity, use
pegacloudrepository and the
Pega Platform creates the
\bixsub-folder after you run an initial extraction process.
For more information, see Overview of BIX extractions in Pega Cloud environments.
- For sending files to your FTP server through a Connect-FTP method, you can
source the file location using either
pegacloudrepository with the file spec format
or file://pegcloudrepository:/bix, as examples.
For more information, see the Connect-FTP method.
Pega Platform structures the entire Pega Cloud File Storage directory with the logic as displayed in the image below.
You must also select or reference the appropriate repository record for your Pega Cloud File Storage repository and the associated sub-folder when using Pega Platform to perform the following actions:
|When selecting Pega Cloud File Storage for your application content storage||Select pegacloudfilestorage from the repository list, then browse for /attachments sub-folder.||When using REST API to add or delete SFTP files||Enter pegacloudrepository/sftp in the destination field.|
|When sourcing case or pulse attachments from Pega Cloud File Storage||Select pegacloudfilestorage from the repository list, then browse for the /attachments sub-folder.||When configuring an activity to obtain your BIX extract files||Enter pegacloudrepository in the repository name field.|
|When using REST or SOAP API to send file attachments from Pega Cloud File Storage||Select from the pegacloudfilestorage repository list, then browse for the /attachments sub-folder.||When configuring your Pega Cloud SFTP service or BIX FTP listener to access BIX extract files||In the BIX/sharedpath DSS, enter the filespec file://pegacloudrepository:/bix.|
|When using REST or SOAP API to process inbound file attachments for storage in Pega Cloud File Storage||Enter pegacloudfilestorage in the repositoryName field, then /attachments in the folderPath field.||When using REST API to create additional sub-folders in the /sftp directory||See article.|
|When using a file listener to process storage in a repository (does not apply to extract files)||Enter filespec file://pegcloudfilestoragein the repositoryName field, then /attachments in the folderPath field.|
|When using the Connect-FTP method to obtain Pega Cloud File Storage files||Enter file spec file://pegcloudfilestorage:/attachments in the remoteFile field as an example.||When using the Connect-FTP method to obtain Pega Cloud File Storage files||Enter file spec file://pegcloudrepository:/bix in the remoteFile field, as an example.|
Recovering Pega Cloud File Storage files
Pega Cloud Services backs up files to Pega Cloud File Storage for disaster recovery. You can contact Pega Cloud Services to restore Pega Cloud File Storage files for 30 days from the deletion date. Pega Cloud Services does not recover files deleted for more than 30 days.
You can request that Pega Cloud recover files within the 30-day window by selecting New request in My Support Portal. Include the name of each file and the date when each file was present in your Pega Cloud File Storage repository.
After Pega Cloud Services completes the service request, you can find your recovered files in their respective sub-folder.